The Pymble Catholic Parish has a comprehensive annual Sacramental Program for children. The order of the sacraments is Baptism, Confirmation, Reconciliation and then First Communion.
The preparation for each of these sacraments involves an individual enrolment, and a preparation program led by parent volunteers. The enrolment procedure is an online process explained below.
Change to the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation
Confirmation Program for 2021
The following information provides an overview of the process of registering for the sacrament of Confirmation and the expectations of the parents and candidate.
Children in Year 3 and above (aged eight years and over) who are already baptised are eligible to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation in our Parish. However, as a parent, you know your child best and may wish to wait a little longer if you feel that your child is not yet ready to partake in this program.
At Baptism, your child began a life-long journey and a way of life. At Confirmation, the graces received in Baptism are sealed with the reception of the seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit. This sacrament enables your child to better participate in the worshipping and apostolic life of the Church. The words that Jesus shared with his disciples at Pentecost apply to each one of us at Confirmation, "you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come down upon you; and you will be my witnesses" (Acts 1:8).
In order for a child to participate in the Confirmation program at Pymble Catholic Parish, the following must be completed:
- The child must be baptised prior to receiving the sacrament of Confirmation.
- Proof of baptism must be provided to the Parish.
- The child must be in Year 3 or above (aged eight or over).
- The child needs to be registered online for the program (as below). Online registrations open on 1 March.
- A Confirmation preparation workbook for your child must be collected from the Parish office at Sacred Heart Pymble on Thursday, 25 March At the same time, staff will be able to respond to any questions you may have. Please note this day will be in lieu of a Parent Information Evening.
- The child, along with their parent or carer, must participate in a preparation program for the sacrament.
As a parent, you may wish to host or facilitate a small family group for the candidates to prepare for Confirmation. Without your support in this way, we could not offer a family-centred approach to this sacrament. Please consider taking on this valuable roll. You do not have to be a great Saint to do this: although you probably are already and just don't recognise it. All that is required is a space or a venue to host the group and a willingness to facilitate the discussion between parent and child. The Confirmation Workbook supplied by the Catholic Diocese of Broken Bay is very comprehensive and will give the group its structure.
The expectation is that the candidate, along with one of their parents, will attend the group formation sessions. The group will meet between two (2) and four (4) times in order to best prepare for Confirmation. The group will have between four (4) and six (6) candidate participants maximum (for a total of eight to 12 people including parents), as long as this adheres to COVID-safe regulations.
The group will meet at an agreed upon time that is convenient for all participants in the group and at a mutually agreeable location. For example, the formation group may agree to meet over four (4) Sundays from 3pm to 4pm at Sally's house to prepare. If the group does not have a venue to hold formation sessions, the church has meeting rooms we will gladly book for you based on availability (the rooms need to be booked in advance).
If your preference is to attend a formation group or class at the Parish, you are welcome to do so. This class will be offered over two weekends.
Note: there will be a practice for Confirmation on Thursday, 13 May at 4pm or 6pm. Please attend the practice that works best for you and your family.
If your child has additional needs, please contact the Parish office
so we can work with your family to find the best way to support you and
your child during preparation for the sacraments.
Following the preparation period, Confirmation will be celebrated across three Masses at the Sacred Heart Church in Pymble at the following times:
- Saturday, 15 May at 10am
- Saturday, 15 May at 1pm
- Saturday, 15 May at 3pm
You may choose a celebration time that works best for you and your family. The number of candidates allowed to enrol in each celebration has been limited/capped to 25 to ensure a COVID-safe environment.
You will need the following before making your online enrolment.
- The name of the child making their Confirmation. Enter your child's name in the Candidate's First Name and Candidate's Last Name online section: not your name. Ensure your child's name is spelt correctly and as you want it to appear on their Confirmation certificate. Confirmation certificates are produced using the information you have provided. Therefore, it is important to ensure all of your data entry is correct.
- A Confirmation name. Each child needs to read about and select a Catholic saint to be their "Saintly Friend" for Confirmation. This is a lovely opportunity for you and your child to learn about the Catholic saints. Please include the saint's full name, i.e. "Mary of the Cross, Mackillop", "John the Evangelist", or "John the Baptist". There are wonderful books available from the library regarding Catholic saints or on the internet. Have a bit of fun engaging in this activity with your child. Some children who have a Christian name as their given name may choose this same name. This is a choice for you and your child.
- A copy of your child's baptism certificate. Please email a copy of this baptism certificate to Melanie Benbow at the Parish office prior to Thursday, 25 March (no paper copies can be accepted). If your child was baptised in a non-Catholic Christian denomination, they will need to make a profession of faith prior to Confirmation. You may contact the Parish office via the Contact function or use the email address at the bottom of this page.
- Have the postal address of the parish where your child was baptised. This is a very important piece of information. Catholic Church canon law requires that we send a letter confirming that your child has made their Confirmation to the church where your child was baptised. Please ensure that you fill in all of the fields properly when booking online. This may seem tedious but it is necessary.
- A sponsor with your child, for your child. The sponsor must be a Catholic over the age of 16 who has received all of their Sacraments. The sponsor may be a godparent, a relative, or a friend; someone you trust who will offer on-going spiritual guidance to your child. We live in a global community and understand that if your child's sponsor is elsewhere on the day of Confirmation, a surrogate is welcome to stand-in on the sponsor's behalf on the day.
- Hosting or facilitating details. If you are hosting or facilitating a group, have the time, day and location of the group you intend to offer. Remember, depending on availability, the church does have rooms for group preparation sessions.
The participation fee for the Sacrament of Confirmation is $70 per child. The Parish needs to make a charge for each sacramental program to cover the costs of providing books, additional resources, and time of preparation, in particular the employment of our paid staff. This charge is not for receiving the sacrament - it is simply the only way that our Parish can afford to employ the staff who are needed to lead and organise our sacramental preparation programs. If you are in need of financial assistance, please contact our office.
Each child needs to be enrolled in the program via an online process. When making a booking online, please book only one ticket per child making their Confirmation. If you have more than one child making their Confirmation, book each child individually. For example, if you have two children getting confirmed, book in one child and then go through the process again for the second child (do not book two tickets at once). This process will ensure we have all of the necessary details for each individual participant.
The link below will take you to the online enrolment process. The online process also provides additional information on the program.
Pymble Catholic Parish Program Enrolment