The Mission of the St Vincent de Paul Society in Australia is to deepen the catholic faith of its members by sharing themselves with the poor on a person-to-person basis.
The Lindfield-Killara St Vincent de Paul Conference helps people in need in many ways, including:
- visiting people in the parish who request assistance – financial or otherwise.
- Promoting Catholic literature by selling the Catholic Weekly, the Australian Catholics magazine, Christmas cards and Columban Calendars
- Administering the poor box found in the foyers of the churches
- Organising a quarterly collection of donated, used goods.
- Providing Christmas hampers each year to our current clients
- Supporting a number of students in the Assist-A-Student schemes as well as three international “twins” conferences in Thailand, Indonesia and India.
- Volunteer opportunities include:
- Thursday visits in Waterloo. Fortnightly on Thursdays, a group of parishioners (including many mums from Holy Family School) make home visits to deliver vouchers and provide other assistance to those persons “doing it hard” in our own backyard! We are always looking for extra volunteers, regular or casual, especially during school holidays. The hours are between 9.45 am and about 1pm. As a beginner, you’ll accompany another seasoned volunteer. If you prefer, we can also organise for you to ride with another volunteer.
- Working as an assistant in the St Vincent de Paul shops at Gordon or Chatswood. You can also volunteer for the “drop-in room” at Chatswood, providing advice or assistance to people who request it. Training provided.
Working with the homeless at the Matt Talbot Hostel.
- Riding on the Night Patrol (especially for our younger volunteers). The Patrol is a bus that travels the streets of Sydney offering food, drink and companionship to the homeless.
- Providing companionship to persons with mental disabilities in the Compere program. Training provided
For more information please contact Brad Jones via the Parish Office.